We need you to submit your written support for Single Payer health care in Oregon to the Legislature - and we ask that you do this before May 10th! Representative Dembrow's Single Payer health care bill (HB2922) will be heard before the Health Care Committee on May 13th at the State Capitol. Oral testimony in favor of HB2922 will be presented by selected panels of speakers being assembled by HCAO, but written testimony can - and should - be submitted by as many supporters as possible. An avalanche of written testimony will get the message across to legislators: "The time has come to create a Single Payer system in Oregon!"
Please read on for further important information on how to submit written testimony:
HB 2922 will be the only bill on the Health Care Committee agenda for May 13. The committee will hear public testimony from 1-2:45 PM in Hearing Room E. Written testimony should be submitted in a PDF format that identifies in the title who the submitter is. Those should be e-mailed to Debbie Malone @ Debbie.firstname.lastname@example.org with “HB 2922 Testimony” in the subject line. All written testimony must be received by noon on May 10 in order to be on the record. They will not accept written testimony during the hearing.
Here are some suggested "talking points" for HB2922:
1) Everybody will be "in" and receives the health care they need- WHEN they need it.
2) No more deaths due too no or little health insurance.
3) No more foreclosures because of medical bills.
4) No more medical postponements resulting in worse conditions.
5) Stop market based inflationary medical practices.
6) People will still be able to choose their medical providers.
7) Take health care off the bargaining table.
8) Stop "defensive medical care" which unnecessarily increases costs.
9) Reduce administrative costs.
10) Single payer will reduce employer costs.
11) No more out of pockets, high deductibles, co-pays, and limits.
12) No one loses health care when the lose or change jobs.
ALSO: If you want to attend the hearing and make your support manifest, join your fellow MVHCA Advocates riding the bus on the morning of May 13th! See the post below for more information. We can take up to 52 riders!